KHICHADI RECIPE (Kitchari) 5-6 people
When making this delicious meal, feel free to play with different herbs and spices. I like it with strong flavor, so normally I doubled if not more the amount of spices.
- One cup of organic yellow split mung beans
- One cup of organic millet
- One tsp each of: organic coriander, fennel, fenugreek, cumin, thyme, rosemary yellow or black mustard seeds
- Half tsp each of: organic turmeric and cardamom powder
- Three inches fresh organic ginger root (I used only sometimes)
- Three bay leaves
- Nine cups of filtered water
- Salt to taste. Better is Himalayan, Celtic or Hawaiian rock salt
- For topping: fresh or dried dill or small handful of chopped cilantro leaves
- Soak overnight split mung beans and millet.
- Rinse them enough times to make the water runs clear.
- If you like a more tasting and wake -up spices energy; dry roasted them in a pre-heated pan on medium heat for a couple minutes. Avoid BURNING. Laurel leaves, skip this step.
- Add water , yellow split mung beans and millet to a large pot. Bring to boil. Skim off all the foam.
- Turn heat to low and add the spices and herbs.
- Cover pot and cook in a very low temperature for at least 3 hours. I cook mine overnight.
- Add salt.
- Put on top cilantro leaves or fennel on top when serving.
NOTE: Split yellow mung beans can buy on Indian stores, internet or in RASAMA online store. Be cautions of ordering ONLY Split Yellow Mung Beans.
GENTLE DIGEST THERAPEUTIC SAURKRAUT RECIPE
3 organic heads green cabbage, shredded in a food processor. Keep some leafs aside to use later to cover the brine.
3 inch piece of organic ginger, peeled and chopped
A pinch of the following organic herbs: Fennel seed, Curmin seed, Coriander seed, and Cardamom seed.
Secret Ingredient: a half teaspoon of organic celery seed fresh grind.
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, preferably glass, food grade stainless steel or ceramic bowl.
2. Take 1 cup of this mixture and put into a blender.
3. Add enough filtered water to make a creamy juice. Add this “brine” to the first mixture. Stir well. Set aside.
4. Prepare MEGASPORE Probiotic or Body Ecology Culture starter: open two capsules or one sachet and dissolve the powder in 11/2 cup warm water (90-92). Add aproximately 1 tsp. of some type of sugar as Rapadura, or coconut sugar to feed the culture starter. Let sit this mixture for about 20 minutes or longer. Add this starter to the cabbage mixture.
5. Pack the mixture down into a quart glass jar. Mason jar or even better, Pickl-it fermenting jar. Use fist or wooden dowel to pack cabbage tightly.
6. Fill container almost full. Leave about 2 inches of room.
7. Roll up several cabbage leaves and place them into a tight “plug” on top to fill the 2 inches space.
8. Put a clean rock on top of this “plug” made of leave to avoid the cabbage mixture expand. Closed jar.
9. Keep jar out of strong light. Light destroy lactic acid bacteria.
10. During the first three days open daily the jar to push cabbage down.
11. Let the jar sit at about a 70 degree room temperature for at least three days or until bubbles start going down. Refrigerate to slow down fermentation. Enjoy!
NOTE: It’s being discussed if when using a “culture starter” should be salt added or not. There adherents for both. I personally used both methods. Taste much better when a little salt is added. It’s more crispy and crunchy. Without it, is flat taste.