Traditional Ayurveda has a cleansing food that balance the tree body type : vata, pitta and kapha. It is a combination of yellow split mung beans and white basmanti rice with many spices, that are choose depending every person constitutions.
What makes this food so special is that is very easy to digest. May you know that regular mung beans are green and round, but the mung dal used to make Kitchari is yellow and split. The green husk had been removed. When beans are split are called dal or dhal. Example are chana dal (split chickpeas) or masoor dal (split red lentils).
KITCHARI IS A COMPLETE PROTEIN
There are twenty amino acids. Ten of them, can be synthesize for the body. The other ten, we must to get it from food. They are called essential amino acids. Animal proteins are “complete’, since they contain the 10 essential amino acids. Plants foods don’t, this is why they have to be combined to make a complete protein. The combination of rice and mung dal provides all the amino acids. It is form a complete protein, making it helpful to supports stable blood sugar
EASY TO DIGEST
In India, kitchari since is very easy to digest, is given as a first food for babies, the elderly and people who is sick. Is also used for healthy people in cleansing and spiritual practices, supporting a relax state of mind. This is another reason why is used in Panchakarma. Ayurveda’s deepest detox protocol.
DETOXING WITH KITCHERI
The “complete protein” content in this food supports stable blood sugar levels, this is essential in any cleanse protocol. The idea is shift your body into fat metabolism and detox the fat cells. If the body is under stress (low blood sugar) will be let you with no energy to burning fat.
HEAL THE GUT
When kitcheri is used in a mono- detox diet program, allow the digestive system enter in a “rest mode” and provide the nutrition needed to heal and soothes the intestinal wall.
In Ayurveeda the term ” Agni” or digestive fire is considered to be essential to our health. When we have good agni we are able to digest, assimilate and absorb nutrients from food. When this is not accomplished, malabsorption and accumulation of toxins are the result. The spices used in the preparation of this food encourages healthy agni.
RASAMA KITCHERI WITH MILLET
For some, rice can create some digestive problems. Although white rice is a low FODMAP food, still can make people react. Here is where Millet comes to help. It is my favorite!. Is the only grain I used in my Kitchari.
WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT MILLET
According to Paul Pitchord, millet has a cooling nature and a sweet-salty flavor. It’s beneficial to stomach and spleen-pancreas; builds “yin” fluids (Chinese Medicine) and moistens dryness. It’s alkalizing properties balances over-acid conditions. It has a high protein content and its anti-fungal properties, make it very helpful for people suffer with Candida Albincans or yeast overgrowth.
KHICHADI RECIPE (Kitchari) 5-6 people
When making this delicious meal, feel free to play with different herbs and spices. I like it with strong flavor, so normally I doubled if not more the amount of spices.
- One cup of organic yellow split mung beans
- One cup of organic millet
- One tsp each of: organic coriander, fennel, fenugreek, cumin, thyme, rosemary yellow or black mustard seeds
- Half tsp each of: organic turmeric and cardamom powder
- Three inches fresh organic ginger root (I used only sometimes)
- Three bay leaves
- Nine cups of filtered water
- Salt to taste. Better is Himalayan, Celtic or Hawaiian rock salt
- For topping: fresh or dried dill or small handful of chopped cilantro leaves
- Soak overnight split mung beans and millet.
- Rinse them enough times to make the water runs clear.
- If you like a more tasting and wake -up spices energy; dry roasted them in a pre-heated pan on medium heat for a couple minutes. Avoid BURNING. Laurel leaves, skip this step.
- Add water , yellow split mung beans and millet to a large pot. Bring to boil. Skim off all the foam.
- Turn heat to low and add the spices and herbs.
- Cover pot and cook in a very low temperature for at least 3 hours. I cook mine overnight.
- Add salt.
- Put on top cilantro leaves or fennel on top when serving.
NOTE: Split yellow mung beans can buy on Indian stores, internet or in RASAMA online store. Be cautions of ordering ONLY Split Yellow Mung Beans.